Through the creation of a physical and energetic home for these communities in which risk-taking and research are paramount, NMC cultivates the vision of Boston as a national and international ‘stomping ground’ and training center for contemporary dance, improvisation and performance art.
- New Movement Collaborative (NMC) exists to provide a home for the rigorous study and training of contemporary dance and related movement modalities in the City of Boston.
- To offer a physical and conceptual platform for the aspiring, mid-career and professional dancer/performance artist to connect, exchange ideas, build new and avant-garde works and promote sustainability within the fields.
- To build a sense of community within the arts locally and nationally.
- To promote successful sustainable practices in the field through a focus on communication and connection among existing organizations, companies and studios supporting contemporary dance, improvisation and performance arts and by facilitating conversations on ‘the state of art & dance today’.
- To strive to achieve long-lasting change and acceptance of an arts-oriented Boston where risk-taking, research and current ideas around movement-culture are paramount.
- To provide opportunity, mentoring and outreach to both professional dancers as well as youth and under-served populations who are interested in a contemporary dance and movement-based education.
- To create a cultural nexus in the U.S. for new American dance-works and ideas to be developed and shared with the local, national and global communities.